Monday 24 November 2008

Robert is here

Sorry for the long delay in update. Unfortunately everything did not go to plan. I'm writing this on Jonathan's pda from hospital and he's going to post this when he goes home to gather some bits.

Robert Stephen was born at home at 6.37pm on Sunday after approximately 14 hours of labour. I had no pain medication and he was born weighing 10lbs. However he wasn't breathing and had to be resusitated. He was limp and although his heart was beating it took him about 20 minutes to breathe on his own. We were rushed to hospital after Robert had established laboured breathing and whimpers and I'd delivered the placenta. I'll go through the actual birth story another time.

Robert is now in the Intensive Care Unit being monitored to check that his heartrate and breathing remain stable and also to check that he's seizures that were caused by lack of oxygen to the brain get better and don't cause any serious problems. We got to hold him for the first time after birth a few hours ago and he also latched onto the breast and had a little suckle. He wasn't latched on properly but I let him suckle there for a while so he got used to it.

He is such a beautiful baby with deep blue eyes and inch long (!) dark hair. :) J and I have both had difficult times over the last 24 hours as it's been very traumatic and as such we are both somewhat emotional wrecks, especially me what with the long labour, blood loss, stitches and hormones. But I think being able to hold him today has risen our spirits a lot.

We're likely to be in here a while but I do hope I can post photos soon. We really do have such a gorgeous boy and some lovely photos of him. I hope to catch up soon as it's rather bizarre being away from the intrnet for so long. Thanks to you all in advance for your thoughts. x

No comments:

Post a Comment