Wednesday 19 November 2008

39 weeks 4 days - not in labour yet, but I think it's close

After my entry yesterday, I became very convinced I was in the early stages of labour. My braxton hicks were very strong (much stronger than usual, I could feel they were there without having to feel my tummy to see if it had gone hard), and I even got bouts of period like pain co-inciding with them.

However things seem to have died off again, and although I've been having the odd braxton hicks they are again very mild and difficult to tell they're there unless I poke and prod my tummy around a bit.

I didn't time them last night, I figured I'd wait until I was feeling them regularly and strongly, and it came to about 1am and they had died down a bit so I went to bed. For some strange reason I didn't need to pee very much, but also I got up once because for some reason I was just laying there awake, not needing to pee, no heartburn, no real reason for it at all. Eventually I got up and attempted a pee anyway, and I could, so went back to bed, and fell asleep til morning. The first thing Jonathan said to me this morning was "No baby yet then?" I rolled my eyes a little and said "doesn't look like it!" To which he replied "Damn, I was hoping I didn't have to go into work today!" (He's told his employers that he'd like to take off 2 weeks holiday from when the baby is born) Cheeky bugger!!! ;) I said "Oh right, and that's the only reason is it?? Nothing to do with the fact that having him will ease my aches and pains, and the fact he'll be here with us eventually?" He chuckled a bit and said of course those were reasons too, then as he was kissing me goodbye, he bent down to kiss my belly, and asked Robert very nicely to come out soon! I hope he listens!

I do think it could be any day now. I really think I may be in the 20% of first-time mums who give birth on or before their due date, judging by how I was feeling yesterday. Of course I could be one of those women who feel strong contractions for weeks before they give birth. But either way I guess I'm quite lucky, the ones I've felt so far have been far from painful - they've hardly been uncomfortable to tell the truth.

I spent yesterday going through a birth preference sheet we got from hypnobirthing, ticking the things I'd like to include in it. It's quite a large document, so I will have to try and cut it down a little, to merge some points with others. The midwife has written down in my notes that we're doing hypnobirthing so hopefully any we get from the community section will already have a basic understanding of what we will expect from them, including things like letting the mother lead the birthing process, not to ask about "pain levels" or to coach me into "pushing" during the second part of childbirth. But it's probably a good idea to have my birth preference sheet out for other matters like medication, induction, what to do if the birthing is stalled, etc.

I do feel so excited, knowing that my baby is close, that any day now we may get to meet him. I'm looking forward to my labour so much! I can't wait to get into my birthing pool! That any day now I will get to see the little feet that I've been feeling for so long, that every day I like to tease when he pokes them out of my belly, by poking them back! That so soon I will meet the tiny human being that I have grown from a single cell merged by mine and my husband's love for each other, to the kicking, poking, hiccuping little man that's here in me now.

I love him so, sweet little man, we'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment