Wednesday 29 October 2008

36 weeks 4 days - midwife home birth checkup and antenatal, J's birthday

Ahh ok, midwife has just left, but will talk about last night first and then the appointment later.

Since I don't work and any money I spend Jonathan essentially pays for, I decided instead of "taking him" out for a meal, where he would essentially pay for it, I thought I would do something that showed a bit more thought. So I planned what I would cook, check what I needed, and I actually bought a lot of the stuff at tesco on the Saturday. I cooked him a meal (that actually turned out very nice!!) of garlic chicken, stuffed with cheese and onion, wrapped in a rasher of bacon.. with a creamy garlic mashed potato, veg and creamy cheese sauce (which I made from scratch! Go me!).

He came home shortly before I'd finished cooking, so I made him go and find some nice romantic music hehe. :) Then on the table I'd put a vase of flowers, a candle, two posh glasses to have a non-alcoholic fruit juice cocktail I'd made in, and we turned out all the lights and had a lovely candlelit dinner. :) It was delicious (if I say so myself! haha), and was so nice. :) Then I asked him if he wanted some dessert, and went out and got a cake I had made earlier in the day, lit a candle on top, and brought it out. :) The music was still playing so I didn't sing happy birthday. The cake was nice, but it wasn't as fluffy as it could have been - I needed to have whipped it some more, but ah well. :)

Then afterwards he opened cards and presents from other people that were hanging around, and then after that, the ones from me (which weren't actually that exciting, he said he needed new shirts so I bought him several new shirts). Then we watched his choice of film (Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels). By the time it had finished I was actually very tired, I hadn't really had time to nap at all during the day. So while he was watching Dead Set - the Big Brother zombie thing - I went upstairs, caught up on a few emails and then after J came up we went to bed.

So a very pleasant evening :)

Anyway, onto the midwife appointment she came for a visit to talk about home birth and stuff... She said foremost that I have to be between 38 weeks and 10 days overdue to be considered for a homebirth. Otherwise I'd have to go in. So it's not the 37 weeks I'd heard elsewhere... oh well. She went through all the protocol, about transferance, about some limitations with the community midwifes and depending on who was on call etc. Something I wasn't too pleased about was that she said "if someone else is giving birth and there's not enough on call midwives to come out to you, you may be asked to go into hospital." I didn't say anything to Bev but at the hypnobirthing classes, Jenny told us sometimes they do do that, and a midwife had told her off the record that if a person was to say under those circumstances "No, I'm staying put, you'd better send someone to me" they'd have no choice but to find someone to send out to you.

She also mentioned about Vitamin K, and they were saying how it's either given in oral doses spread out over a couple of months (!) or in an injection within a few hours after the baby is born... I'll have to do more research into that I think because I don't feel comfortable having my 2 hour old baby having a needle stuck into his leg, like the transition isn't hard enough for the wee little things!! So if I was to give it to him I think it'd be orally.

One thing I did like was that she acknowledged the hypnobirthing we'd been doing and she said the midwife would try not to say much at all to me unless it was necessary.

Anyway once all the homebirth talk was over, she started on my antenatal. BP and urine fine again, I told her about the swelling I'd had in my ankles and the trips I had had last week to the GP. Then she felt my tummy, Robert's still head down, not only that but he's 3/5 engaged!! He measured 36 weeks again which is back to normal but he's also engaging, so wow, yeah. :) She checked his heartbeat, and I was surprised, it was so fast! Much much faster than I've heard it before, but Bev said it was normal, it was 160 bpm, and constant over the time she listened.

I mentioned to her also that I've been getting a few days where he's quiet a lot of the time, and then a few days where he's very active, she said as long as I'm getting 10 movements a day it should be fine. I've not actually been counting his movements. Ooops!

Anyway she said my next appointment I'd have to go down to the surgery for (bah), which is in a couple of weeks. She said she'd also pop by next Wednesday to drop in a home birth pack ready for the midwife who comes when I'm in labour. So very exciting! Lets just hope that Robert lets us have the home birth I want for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment