Thursday 23 October 2008

35 weeks 5 days - BP down, cheap baby clothes, more irrational worries

The waterbirth information evening was interesting. However it was a waste of almost an hour for some poor woman who came in, and then towards the end asked if she could use the pool as she'd previously had a cesarian section (the midwife leading the session had towards the beginning said what conditions had to be met to be able to use it, including being full term, not on certain painkillers, etc but not mentioned cesarians), at which point the midwife said "no, sorry." So the woman got up to leave as at that point there was no reason for her to stay. I felt sorry she'd sat through all that for nothing.

What Jenny had told us about hospital led sessions about labour etc was true, talking very much about pain relief, so I tried my best to let that go in one ear and out the other. She then showed us a video of a water birth, which I thought was ok (I was expecting screaming and stuff or at least something more horrendous generally than I'd seen during the hypnobirthing classes), but afterwards, one of the pregnant women there said "I don't want to give birth now!" when the midwife asked if there were any comments. At some point the woman on the video cried out "Jesus Christ!!", presumably as the baby was crowning. But that was it really... *sigh*

Anyway. My BP is down to normal again, although the nurse that took it seemed very flustered and as though she wasn't very organised... And she used a bigger band to take my BP, and started off using her finger to take my pulse, and then switched hurriedly to using the stethoscope. But I shall wait and see what happens next wednesday with the midwife home visit.

This morning I also on a whim phoned a number in a newspaper advert, the classifieds, which was advertising big bags of 30+ items per bag for baby boys clothes. The newspaper was from June this year, so I wasn't holding my breath for them to still be available, but the woman did still have a bag of 0-3 month old clothes, and a bag of 6-9 month old clothes, which we can get for �10 a bag! She said she also had a baby bouncer and a baby beanbag she wanted to get rid of, both in good condition for �20. Bargains! It's a bit of a journey - 1 hour 20 minutes there and back, but will probably be worth it! Kettering Hospital, where we are having the various classes is about half way along the route, so it might be worth stopping by after the class to pick them up then.

Onto other news/revelations: I am beginning to wonder if Robert can really be classed as an "active" baby. I thought he was quite active, and he does indeed at times have extremely active moments, but lately, he does seem to be not very active. I'll feel an occasional foot sweep around the top of my bump, and the occasional light brushing feeling of a hand moving around "down there".. but big squirms seem to be very few and far between. And I have no other frame of reference to know whether he is in fact average, under average, or over average on terms of squirminess. All I know is that I look out for movements of any sort, and as long as I feel several a day I don't worry too much.

It does petrify me the thought that after such a long time of getting to know the squirmy little thing inside me the thought that something could happen... inexplicably, and he could be still born. Something like that happened to someone on the forums I read recently. Someone was due middle of October, and her baby died around the end of September, born a couple of days later. So sad... and I wish I wasn't the sort of person to dwell on these things. When someone lost their baby at 20 weeks (due same date as me), I was convinced it may happen to me too, and I was so scared. Now I'm reaching the end of my pregnancy, it's like the worry is still there, like it will never go away. I'll probably be the sort of mum to rush upstairs every 15 minutes to check on her sleeping baby to make sure he's still breathing.

Anyway, I'll leave off for now. Hope you're all having a fab week.

No comments:

Post a Comment