Saturday 20 December 2008

A letter

To my darling son Robert,

Tomorrow will be four weeks since you were born. Your daddy and I eagerly awaited your arrival since we knew you were with us around the middle of March, and when we knew you were finally on your way to meet us for the first time we were so excited! Your journey into the world was long and difficult, but it was worth every second of it! Your arrival did have us worried, we thought at one point you might not make it, but you are a little fighter, and you proved all our worries were for nothing. You were intensive care for three days, while they monitored your breathing and your oxygen levels. I was so excited when I got a call asking me to bring you some clothes, because it meant you were being taken out of your incubator and put into a cot! And we got to dress you for the first time.

Something I really worried about when you were born was whether us being apart would mean I wouldn't be able to feed you myself. The beginning was a little discouraging, you seemed uninterested, and the hospital staff wanted you to get milk from somewhere so they told us to give you formula. However we persevered, trying you on the breast first and then giving formula afterwards. With a lot of encouragement and help we finally got there, you were interested, and from when you were 4 days old all you ate was pure mummy milk! I was so proud when you first took mummy milk eagerly and easily. And although sometimes even now it can be hard (as you are such a big hungry boy!), we've not looked back and you clearly love Mummy Milk very much.

I look at you in such awe and amazement sometimes, and with such love and affection that it surprises me. How your daddy and I made you, little perfect you. You are hard work, boy, I wasn't expecting just how much... but I love you so much, and when I look down at your sleepy little face resting against my chest, or watch your little eyes looking around at everything you can see while you're nursing, my heart just melts and I know that it's all worth it. I find myself wondering what you will enjoy doing when you are older, what your temperament will be, and I find myself looking forward to getting to know you, and experiencing all your firsts. Right now I find myself looking forward to your first real smile, the one that lets me know you love us just as much as we love you. And so many more firsts to come.

I know that you will never fully appreciate the depth of our love for you until you have a child of your own, but I hope that you always know we love you, Robert, and will do everything we can to make you happy, confident, and most of all.. yourself.

I love you, baby boy.

Love from Mummy xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment