Friday 8 August 2008

24 weeks 6 days - 2nd hypnobirthing class

Well, my mum is due to arrive today in about half an hour, she's coming over for a few hours since she has the week off. I don't think she's seen the new sofas yet :)

Last night was interesting. For a start, I had a shower earlier in the day, forgot to apply deodorant afterwards, then had a nap until we had to go and completely forgot, so yeah, ended up feeling gross and stinky at the class :( Sort of took me back to when I worked at the nursery, I had a similar problem, where while I remembered to take deodorant, for some reason the deodorant I used did not work, and I got a lot of hassle and nasty comments behind my back. But yeah.. bleugh. Anyway.. we covered breathing during surges (contractions) last night, and watched a couple of hypnobirths.

During the bit where she was showing us the breathing techniques to use during the surges, I was copying to get a feel for it. Shortly after she said she was going to get the women to try it so she could see how we did, and as she was discussing this, I suddenly realised I was becoming sweaty, dizzy, feeling a bit sick and claustrophobic. Jonathan noticed I wasn't looking too good and asked if I was ok, I shook my head, and as Jenny split the group up, he interrupted her to say I wasn't feeling too well, and then we went outside, where I got some fresh air, she came out to see how I was feeling, and I told her what I was feeling (as I was out there, trying to breathe, I realised I was finding it hard to do so), and she said it sounded like a panic attack! Which was strange as I never remembered having one before, or feeling that way. She said sometimes if you concentrate on your breathing that can trigger a panic attack, and the breathing you do during the surges is quite difficult, and much easier while lying down rather than sitting up in a chair.

After a few minutes standing out there in the cool breeze, I started to feel better, less sweaty, nausea fading, my legs, which were shaking as I walked out felt stronger. I went and got a glass of water, and then did my bit on the mat laying down with the breathing, and it was much easier and I felt ok. A lot of the women expressed some concern, asked if I was feeling better, which was nice. I actually got talking to a woman there who was on her third child, and that was nice. She seemed really friendly, and she also reminded me of someone, but who I don't know. She just had a lovely familiar air about her. Her husband seems quite nice as well.

There was an extra couple at this session, who are 35 weeks along!

Anyway, should go and wash up some mugs before Mum gets here, she's bound to want a coffee. Sorry this entry isn't as structured as usual, but I'm a bit rushed today. Hope you're all well! And ooh, Megan hasn't updated yesterday so I'm guessing she's still in hospital, with little Peanut! So exciting. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment