Thursday 25 February 2010

8 weeks 1 day - midwife appointment

Well, I had my midwife appointment a couple of days ago. It went really well. :) I know it's only my first one, but blood pressure was "very good" at 110/55, wee was clear, and we had quite a long chat about bits and bobs. She asked me straight out "what are you going to do with this one?" which got me wondering what she meant, but she elaborated, was I going to have another home birth this time. And while I've not made my mind up 100% I am thinking yes, but it won't be another water birth. She said to me (after I asked her for her opinion) that they would recommend a hospital birth after the way Robert's home birth went, but they would honour my wishes. And I said that with the benefit of hindsight, I think this birth would go better than Robert's, as I wouldn't give birth on my back (or reclined as I was), I would give birth squatting, and not in water.

But she went through all the normal forms, asked me about my periods, at which point I *ahem* fibbed a little, and gave my LMP as a couple of days before it actually was, and said that I didn't know how long my cycles were because *ahem* that was my first and only period since Robert was born. She dated me as 30th September due date but I know it's actually 5-7th October. I then found out in the evening when Sarah came around that she has her scan at 12 weeks not 14 like she said before... so I'll probably have mine at 11 weeks! LOL! Ah well! And then have to wait another 5 weeks after for my midwife appointment. But it'll mean we can see baby sooner, and tell the parents sooner :) So I'm looking forward to getting the mail with my scan date. :)

She also took my booking bloods then and there, which was great because it meant I didn't have to go back another day. She was pleased when I told her that I was A positive blood type "Ah good, a nice common one" lol ;)

Although I keep spotting (I had some the morning of my appointment) I have a good feeling about the pregnancy. I just know it's going to go ok. But then I think you do have to tell yourself that anyway. At least in the beginning weeks. I think the first 16 weeks, until you hear the heartbeat for the first time, are a constant worry. Until you start feeling baby move, you just have to have faith all is ok. Even when you get the scan and all is ok then, you do just worry that the next time you have a checkup they won't find the heartbeat.

With regards to my scan, I have decided not to have the nuchal test. I had it with Robert, and got my results in the post. Low risk. It was then that I realised, ok, what does that actually mean? Nothing! I might be that 1 in 1000 or whatever that has the baby with downs. It's still possible, just not probable. So this time I have decided against it. I would not terminate a downs baby. I saw the beginning of a youtube video (it was linked on the side of a 4d scan video) an anti-abortion video, and OMG I immediately regretted clicking on it. How anyone could do that to a baby, THEIR baby.. the pain the poor thing must feel. I don't know if there are more humane ways of doing it but still... it almost made me sick. But anyway, I digress. I saw no point of the nuchal test, so it will simply be a dating scan. Some people have said that some hospitals do it so that if it comes back under 12 weeks they give you another in a couple of weeks time to check the growth. I don't know if Kettering does that, but we shall see.

I'll be expecting my scan date through about a week after my midwife appointment, so maybe around next tuesday. By the time my scan date comes through I could be only 2 weeks away from having a scan! :D And I most likely will get one before Easter now, so once we get the date through we can organise things with the family :) And go and get 3 frames ready ;) I'm so excited. I can't wait to see our parents' faces! I talked for quite a long time on MSN to my mum last night, and somehow I managed to not tell her, but also not tell her about Sarah's pregnancy. If I told her that Sarah was pregnant, she'd start questioning me about how I felt about it, and if I was, or whatever, so I just didn't tell her at all :) Although part of me is wondering if Jonathan's parents are beginning to suspect, what with my doctors appointment and the fact it took an hour from when I left to when I got back (I did say I was waiting a long time lol) and my extreme tiredness, and I have been wondering if I have been talking about Sarah's pregnancy too much, or Robert's. And when the scan DOES come through, I asked the midwife if they allowed children in there, and she said they don't... so we're going to have to come up with a pretty good excuse as to why they'll babysit at a pretty weird time (in the middle of the week, possibly middle of the morning or afternoon). Any ideas??? lol! The only thing I can think of is that Jonathan tells his parents he's booked the day off and that he's taking me out as a surprise or something! And hope it doesn't fall on a Thursday as they're generally unable to help on a Thursday. Or.... Jonathan could take Robert over there in the morning, saying I'm tired, pretend he's going off to work, but come back and pick me up (or hide me in the car while he takes Robert in) and then we head off to Kettering for the scan, then go back home and Jonathan goes off to work in the afternoon, and his parents bring back Robert in the afternoon. Hmmm that could work if it's a morning appointment! If it's an afternoon appointment we might have to think again!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Exciting stuff :-)
    You're doing so well keeping it a secret! I was always rubbish at keeping it to myself.
    I totally agree with you on the Nuchal fold test. We had a high risk result with Jaya and went through an agonising time because of it. Like you I would never have aborted so I wished I'd never had the test at all.

    ReplyDelete