Tuesday 24 June 2008

18 weeks 3 days - photos, breastfeeding issues

Thanks for the notes and comments about my new belly pic. Can't wait til it gets EVEN bigger! ;)

Anyway, this is going to be a short entry today, but I thought I'd post pictures of the 3-6 month baby clothes my dad got us from France. Gosh, I can't WAIT to get cute outfits in the right colours! Especially cute little pink things if Sausage is a girl! Anyway, here goes, they're all rompers/baby grows, whatever they're called!

The last one I think I probably wouldn't use much if Sausage is a girl, with so much blue in it it does look like a little boy babygrow rather than a little girl one. But they're all so cute! Oh my gosh, I feel like I just can't wait to meet Sausage, and put him/her in gorgeous little clothes, and snuggle with him/her, and just take in every single thing.

I looked up on google last night when kicks can be felt from outside, since J seems very keen to feel the baby kicking. The other night, I felt my tummy, and I could feel it really hard under my skin. The uterus is right there, and just feels so hard. Anyway, I said "ooh, feel this Jonathan" and he comes up quickly and just lays his hand over where I motioned, looking all expectant, and I said "no, prod it, it feels really hard there" And his face went all crestfallen and sad and said "Oh, I thought the baby was kicking.." Poor J! Anyway, from what I've managed to find out, it will probably be another 6-8 weeks before he can feel baby kick, which is a bit of a shame, that it's so far away especially since I can feel baby move in there.

I was thinking about it a bit, and I reckon that the movements I can feel are actually Sausage rolling over in there, or generally big "change whole position" movements, rather than kicks or jabs with his/her little arms or legs. They don't really feel like jabby pokey feelings at all, and I think the fact that I can feel the movements only every so often makes me think they are movements s/he tends to do only every now and then, and the thought of rolling over, or full body twists or whatever sort of match how I'd imagine it to feel with what I am actually feeling.

I just find it really bizarre, I hold up a measuring tape to my tummy, with the length charts and baby development websites reckon s/he is at now, and I think how HUGE that is, especially seeing as that's CRL not full length from head to toe, and why the movements I feel aren't HUGE to match! I do feel so lucky, generally. I love feeling those movements, and wish they could come every few hours, every day!

And a revelation I had in the last few days, while thinking about it, was rather odd.. one of those things you will read and think "well, duhhhh!" because of course it seems obvious but it didn't really occur to me before. And that is how amazing that even NOW, with a baby INSIDE me, and part of me, how much of an individual it is! I can't control what Sausage does, if s/he moves, or anything really. All I can do is take care of myself, and hope that Sausage is getting all the nutrition and food s/he needs. And I'm so glad that Sausage takes nutrition from my body without a regard for mine, so if I don't eat enough calcium for the two of us, for example, I know that Sausage is at least getting what s/he needs, so it will be me that goes without first.

Something else I looked into yesterday on the internet was the issue of alcohol and breastfeeding. I do miss the occasional drink, like a glass of wine, or whatever. Or a smirnoff ice as a cool refreshing drink. And I was thinking "Jeez, I'm not going to be able to drink until Sausage is weaned!" but anyway, on a whim I decided to google it, and found several sites which say YES you can have the occasional drink while breastfeeding, as long as you're not too intoxicated to drive, you'll be fine to breastfeed. Or make sure that you wait 3 hours or so after a glass of wine before breastfeeding, make sure to prepare ahead of time and express some milk for baby before you drink. Which is such a relief that I won't have to completely abstain from drinking once I've given birth as well. Although they do recommend you wait until the baby is 3 months old before you drink as if some is still in your breastmilk, only a tiny bit of alcohol can tax baby's liver. Whereas after 3 months, a baby's liver is usually a lot more mature and can metabolise alcohol the same as an adult's liver can.

I read some yahoo answers about a woman who asked about breastfeeding and drinking alcohol, there was some reply from someone saying "you may as well just fill up baby's bottle with wine and give it to her"... and another from someone saying "How irresponsible! I can't believe you're even asking this..." and things like that. And then there were the well researched and thoughtful answers which were similar to the paragraph above. Someone even replied to the not so thoughtful answers with "You can't compare a glass of wine with your meal to an all-night bender on the town" which is true. The woman who asked the question was referring to the odd glass of wine or half pint of beer with a meal, not going out on the town 3 times a week and getting plastered. Ah well, as long as you're responsible with it, don't get intoxicated to the point you can't take care of a baby (which 1 glass of wine with a meal shouldn't do), and wait for the alcohol to leave your breastmilk as it does with your blood before breastfeeding, there's no reason to do it.

On another matter to do with breastfeeding, one of my online friends was talking about an encounter she had in public. (She's 20, not pregnant and doesn't have children) She was sitting near a woman who was breastfeeding her baby. Another woman comes up, and tells this breastfeeding woman she shouldn't do that in public. So my friend says to her "You know, if that baby was screaming because it was hungry, you'd be the first to complain as well, so leave her alone" At which point the complaining woman left in a huff, and the mother thanked my friend. It reminds me of an advert I came across on youtube (linked to from a facebook group). If I am blessed enough to have a plentiful milk supply and able to nourish Sausage with only pure-mummy milk, I will do it whenever and whereever s/he needs! Anyone who tries to tell me off, or make me move is going to get an earful!

Hmm, seems this entry ended up not as short as I thought it would be. Ah well! Hope you're all well, and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment