Wednesday 11 June 2008

16 weeks 4 days - followup midwife appointment

Yay so I have been back from the doctor's for about 20 minutes and caught my breath finally (I am SO unfit it is unreal).

Midwife appointment went great, BP and urine is fine, iron levels are good, blood type came back as A+ which I didn't know before meant that the rhesus was positive! Hehe. You learn something new every day. Apparently positive rhesus is good... although surely it could possibly mean that my baby has a 1 in 4 chance of being rhesus negative anyway? Or even a 1 in 2 chance, if J is negative. (If I'm rhesus positive with 1 + rhesus and 1 - rhesus, and Jonathan is the same, there's 3 chances it'll be positive, and 1 if it gets the - rhesus gene from both sides it'll be negative)

Then the best part! She wanted to hear the baby's heartbeat. Yay! "I was hoping you'd say that!" I told her, and leapt up onto the table hehe. After a bit of prodding around, she found the heartbeat. It didn't sound at all like the "swooshy" sound I'd heard on TV/youtube videos, but was actually very clear! Most definitely a healthy beating heart. :) She felt the top of my uterus just below my belly button, which surprised me, but apparently that's the normal place for it to be! Hehe. I thought it was a bit lower than that, or according to the internet anyway. But yes, all good indications that Sausage is growing well. Oooh! I can't wait for the scan now. And how unfair I have to wait for another FIVE whole weeks! Argh!

Part of me still can't properly comprehend it all. I *still* find it hard to believe that a month before Christmas (roughly!) I will have a baby. In my arms! Actually here with us. I find it so bizarrely wonderful imagining that there is infact a tiny tiny being inside me. A tiny human with arms, and legs, and a gorgeous button nose. How bizarre to hear a heart beating inside your abdomen!

Goodness, if I had a doppler, I could imagine myself spending hours at a time listening to my baby's heartbeat. I suppose it's a good thing I don't have one! ;)

Hope you're all well. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment