Sunday 3 May 2009

23 weeks old - Baby Led Weaning

I have just realised that I completely forgot to mention about a workshop Jonathan and I went to yesterday! It was one about Baby Led Weaning, and it was soooo informative! And we got loads of tips and ideas about it! I know we've already started him on mashed stuff from a spoon, but now we're going to try just letting him pick and choose stuff himself from his high chair and feed himself with it! I know he's not 6 months etc etc, but he is starting to sit well now, and his tongue thrust reflex is disappearing too.

Anyway we decided to try him out today in his highchair. Next time we'll have to pad the bottom out as well as putting something behind him, but it went really well!

He occasionally needed us to put it in his hand, but once it was there he had no problem getting it to his mouth, and even managed to gum a piece off and give it a good sucking! ;)

Here he is trying to fit ALL the bits in his mouth at once!!

Here's him managed to get one in his mouth - we needed to cut them a bit squarer - the curvedness of the apples made it difficult for him to keep a solid hold on them, but he seemed to give it a good go nonetheless!

The amazing standing apple!

Enjoying his tastes, and as you can see he gummed off chunks and gave them a suck and more gumming before they fell back out again!

The concerns I had about giving babies bits of food have been alleviated - the woman giving the presentation said that babies rarely choke on food it just falls out.

I think also I am pleased we are going to try this because it will encourage us to have lots more fresh fruit and veg in the house and cook with that - the only thing will be getting through our cache of frozen pies, kievs, veg, chips that are in the freezer.

I am going to be very sore tomorrow - Jonathan and I went for a 4 mile walk! Still, it will do us good!

No comments:

Post a Comment