Thursday 11 March 2010

Bedtime Smiles

I had a fairly stressful afternoon with Robert. I tried to put him down for a nap fairly early, and for an entire hour he screamed before I gave up and decided to let him play some more. Two hours later, I tried again, and luckily he did fall asleep that time. But only for an hour, usually he sleeps for 2 hours now for his nap.

After his nap he was very um... what's the word... not really sure, fretful maybe. He screamed when I went to the toilet, and he screamed for no other reason really another time. I must have listened to him screaming for about 2 hours today. Maybe just under, but it wasn't nice, especially as some of the time I wasn't even sure why.

I did no exercise today, I didn't do the washing up (first day in AGES I've not), but I did do quite a lot of one to one full attention playing with Robert, including playdough!

I made myself some hot chocolate, but I really didn't like it, for some reason. It just didn't taste right, or feel right, or something. I was hoping that it would calm me down and make me feel better but it just made me feel "blahhh". So I had a bacon sandwich as well, and made one for Robert's tea too. And that made me feel better :)

I made sure to get Robert down by 7pm today, I wanted him to have a nice early night so I could have some time to myself and unwind. I went and poured his bath, and got his night clothes ready. Gave him his bath, and he didn't want to stay in there too long, I think his fresh nappy rash was bothering him. Got him ready in his clothes, he was so calm while I was getting him dressed which was unusual but lovely! Then read him Elmer and the Rainbow, he pointed out all the animals but Tiger and Lion when I asked. So clever! :)

Then milky, and after a while it seemed like he wasn't drinking much anymore so I said "ok Robert, it's bedtime now" and immediately he let go of my nipple, and smiled as I lifted him up. I carried him into his bedroom as usual, with him horizontal in my arms, and as I stood by his cot I looked into his eyes, and said to him "It's time for sleep now, goodnight Robert" gave him a little kiss, and he looked back at me, and BEAMED! I told him I loved him, kissed him again, and laid him down in his cot. He laid there and smiled at me. I blew him a kiss, said Goodnight again, and that I loved him, and closed the door. And he fell asleep, no wriggles, no tears, no crying, nothing! He does usually give some protest to going to bed but tonight he didn't, and it was LOVELY. It really made all the stress of the afternoon worthwhile to see that smile like I was the most wonderful thing he could possibly see before he went to sleep. :)

1 comment: