Wednesday 17 June 2009

Messy play, army crawling

I have had a lovely day with Robert today. Usually at some point I kind of get itchy for it to be 6.30 or so when I start to do his bedtime routine, but today I wasn't! I have seriously been all loved up with my little Monkey Man!

We went to messy play this afternoon down the surestart centre. They had out water, sand, mixing ingredients (custard, pasta, flour, tea leaves etc), a water tray filled with spaghetti, and then a couple of trays on the floor, one filled with rice crispies, and the other filled with icing sugar and cocoa powder.

I put him in the rice crispies first, he just picked up the spoons that were in the tray to begin with but then he got a handful of the rice crispies and got some in his mouth, and he seemed to like them! After a while I took him out and put him in the icing sugar mixture. He got the taste of that too and started smearing it all over his face and putting the spoons and other bits and bobs in there in his mouth, with some of it on mixed with his saliva to a lovely paste lol! Then when Janice (one of the ladies who works there) brought in some water in bubble bottles with holes punched in the lids, for the children to shake in the powder, of course it then got REALLY messy and it just went all over his face, front, legs, my legs, my arms! He also had a brief play with the tea leaves, and in the water.

It was a lot of fun, we both got mucky, and he provided us with a lot of laughs! It's a shame I never got a photo of him, he was a right picture!

In other news, Robert has started to crawl, sort of! The last couple of days he has figured out that if he uses his arms and legs and pushes against the floor he can move forward and reach whatever it is that is just out of reach and that he really wants! Only he stays on his belly, so it's kind of like an army crawl! But it's so funny because his legs sort of go way up in the air while he's trying to shuffle forward on his belly! I will get a video up here within the next few days to show you! He still gets on his hands and knees and rocks, but hasn't discovered how to move from that position.

Part of me wanted to do a different sort of entry today, a letter-type one but I figured there was such a lot of news to update on I'd better just do the normal sort!

Today when I fed Robert to sleep (something I have relaxed on, I have decided to just let him do this, after all it's not going to last forever, and he likes it and I like it, so why deny us both?), I then sat up with him cradled in my arms, his face sooo so so peaceful and beautiful. I just lapped up every detail of his face, his long eyelashes, his smooth cheeks, his perfect little lips, his gorgeous hair. I could have just held him and stared at him for hours. I'm so so lucky. I am just so pleased I get to spend each day with this happy smiley inquisitive snuggly little boy and so thankful that we had such good midwives around for his birth.

I love him so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment