Saturday 15 January 2011

Not diabetic.

Well I had my glucose tolerance test on the 21st December (while someone was in labour I believe? Hahaha!). I finally got the results back this morning in the post.

I had a normal fasting glucose level of 4.4, but a raised level of 8.5 after 2 hours, which is out of the diabetic range but does suggest impaired glucose tolerance, meaning I should try and adopt a healthier diet and lifestyle (ie, cut down on sugars and exercise more, and lose weight) to try and make sure I don't get diabetes later.

I have already lost 2 stone since Christopher was born, which puts me firmly into the overweight category (which is a breath of fresh air after being in the obese category for so long!). I want to lose almost 3 stone more to get to my ideal weight, and I am planning on getting there by my birthday this year which is in July. Meaning I have 6 months to lose just under 3 stone. This should be do-able as I have lost 2 stone in under 4 months. I have already dropped 2 (4?) dress sizes, from a size 20 to a size 16, and am aiming for a size 12 at least, or a generous size 10. I am trying to get out and about more often as well, to ease up the exercise. I think I am also going to try and have a look in a low carb cookbook I got for christmas, to try and cut down on the sugars even more, and therefore reduce the amount of insulin my body needs to make.

We shall see though. For now, my goal is to try and lose weight, and to gently up my exercise. I am glad I am not diabetic, even if it is more likely I will get it due to my impaired tolerance. We shall see.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome news honey! You're doing so very well you should be so proud of yourself :D
    Sorry I haven't been commenting much, I do read every single post I just keep forgetting to comment!
    P.S. my verification word was Diggehop... how cool is that! I'm going to try and use it in a sentence today....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh didn't know you'd had the results back! That's fantastic hun,you've done so well already with the weight loss i'm sure you will achieve your goal
    x

    ReplyDelete