Tuesday 18 January 2011

Drinking in pure love

We were laid on my bed, just Christopher and me. His warm soft body still and snug against my body. He was coming up to bedtime, and was getting sleepy yet still alert and aware of everything. He took the breast willingly, and started suckling away. Every now and then our eyes would meet, and he would break into his beautiful grin, still with my breast in his mouth, as if to tell me that there was nowhere else he'd rather be.

My milk let down, and he started drinking in earnest, sucking and swallowing, and again, his eyes would lock into mine, still drinking, and I could feel then, as he nursed, that he was drinking pure love, my gift to my baby, and my gift to myself. Tears of joy burning my eyes, watching his eyelids grow heavy, I realise that I truly am a mother, and in that moment in time, laying there next to my sweet baby boy, there really is nothing else I'd rather be.

No comments:

Post a Comment