Sunday 5 April 2009

4 months 2 weeks (ish) old - trips out to see swans!

Wow, 4 days since my last entry - a new record for me? Even while I was in hospital I managed to update more often! ;)

Did I say in the last entry that Robert is now grabbing, holding, and putting things in his mouth? Taking some tips from the Baby Stay and Play down the surestart centre, I've been trying to find some interesting things (every day items) for him to hold, and discover new textures. I've given him a wooden spoon, an yoghurt pot, and a bath scrubbing thing as well as a few other things to play with.

He does love to grab things now and his "touchy feely" books are getting more appropriate to him now!

Something else that is becoming apparent is that he's forming a strong attachment to me. Last week when I went out to tesco with my father-in-law, leaving Robert with his grandma, we came back to find him screaming his head off (being held by his grandma) and nothing would quieten him, it was the sort of screaming that really makes you wonder what's wrong, not normal screaming but the completely distressed sort. Apparently it started as soon as he was taken out of his cot from his nap, and usually walking around with him helps. But he still carried on screaming after I came home. I swear I saw a look as if to say "How could you leave me??" on his face as he turned to see me. :(

Then a couple of days later, I took Robert out in the baby carrier, and held him facing outwards for the first time, and he seemed to enjoy being able to see everything, but then I think he realised he couldn't see me, and started to cry on our way into town.

Even though it's quite sad, especially the way he was when he woke to his grandma instead of his mummy, it's quite nice in a way that he obviously relies on me and loves me enough to realise when I'm not there!

Yesterday, we went out for another walk - nearby there are some lakes with a circular walk around them. As the weather was so nice we decided to take advantage of it and packed a lunch and took him in the carrier (we thought the pram might not be up to the terrain, and we were right!). Luckily we went on such a hot day (and where it hadn't rained for a while) because the ground was quite muddy in places, and if the ground had been wet it would have been very erm... interesting. We came across a couple of swans on our walk, sitting up on the path we had to go through, and the one on land was the hugest swan I've seen!

After we'd finished the walk, we then drove to an embankment by a river, where there's some water-play things for kiddies open in summer, and a refreshment van, and a long walk down by the river where there are probably a hundred swans and a few ducks, so it's nice to go and feed them there, although Robert's a bit young still! But we went on a nice walk along the river anyway. :) I carried Robert for the walk along the river as Jonathan had carried him for the circular walk.

Something Robert loves and almost always cheers him up is being flown around in the air, high above our heads, where he can look down on us (and dribble on us). Here he is flying above Daddy ;)

And see the long dribble on his chin! He's a major drooler these days, those poor toothies are bothering him!

See how long his hair is getting! There's absolutely no point trying to tame it because undoubtedly he'll be sick in it before long and it'll need another wash!

The amount of time between Jonathan's suggestions that we should get his hair cut are getting shorter and shorter. I can't believe he's only 4 and a half months old and already we're having to think of cutting off his hair :(

No comments:

Post a Comment