Sunday 26 September 2010

Our little Squidge has arrived

As most of you know, our little Squidge arrived at 9.08pm yesterday (25th September) weighing an absolutely diddy 7lb 9oz! Little Christopher Jon is absolutely perfect and has been breastfeeding for every feed. Due to my diabetes they are checking his blood sugar levels pre feeds, and so far they have not been satisfactory, due to him being quite sleepy and not actually crying for milk yet! It has been an effort to keep him awake and for him to actually have a good long feed, although he did manage it for his last feed, where he fed well for over an hour! So fingers crossed for his next BM.

On the matter of the birth, in a nutshell I had given birth vaginally within 12 hours of being given my first and only pessary! I did also need to have my waters broken, during this process I used gas and air but other than that I didn't use any pain relief despite the contractions being a lot more intense and uncomfortable much earlier on than with Robert's labour.

All in all, my birth experience was very much a positive one, although, maybe due to the speed in which the 2nd phase progressed, I have no idea how on earth I managed to get a 10lb baby out! There was also a time I panicked because Jonathan had asked me when I last felt Squidge move and then realised I couldn't remember, so I really panicked until I was monitored. I had the worst case scenario of Squidge already being dead and there being nothing we could do... but luckily of course Squidge was alright!

I am waiting for him to wake for his feed and he either just pooed or farted, so I might change him and see if he wakes. Hopefully I can update this tomorrow from home, but I'll keep you informed! I can't wait to write his birth story!

4 comments:

  1. Yay!!!!!! Congratulations again! Early babies are often a bit sleepy so the waking for feeds is important. He'll stay newborn-like for a little longer too on terms of routine etc. Oh and 7lb 9oz isn't diddy for a 38 weeker! Mine was 6lbs 6oz ;) That good weight will help him in these early days too :)
    Well done you for the birth, I'm so happy it was a positive experience for you!
    Get back to those lovely snuggled. He's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations once again. I am also incredibly happy that this birth was far more positive. Best wishes to the whole family. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I am so pleased everything went so well. I can't wait to see photos and hopefully read more about the birth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait for the birth story!!!! Sounds like you did soooo well! :D Congratulations again! So excited to see an update here with more detail! Hope Christopher's blood sugars settle and you get to come home soon! He's such a good weight - well done you for controlling your blood sugar! Nathan at 35 weeks was 5lbs 13oz but other than that Christopher is lighter than any of mine were! So little and sweet! He's a good weight for 38 weeks and hopefully as his blood sugars settle he'll get less sleepy. Nathan was sleepy as Jemma said with Jove, because he was early at 35 weeks, but I shouldn't think 38 weeks is early enough to make him sleepy - it's prob the blood sugar and that's all. You're well into "term" after all! :)

    Happy snuggling! I'm getting so excited to meet my own little man reading all about yours! xxx

    ReplyDelete