Sunday 23 March 2008

Telling two thirds of the parents ;)

So we saw our parents yesterday - well, my mum, and his parents, my dad is coming along tomorrow. My in-laws arrived around 11am, Jonathan had a headache, and he only got up at about 10.30, had a quick shower and was getting dressed when they arrived. I had just finished defluffing my jumper when we heard them arrive, so I pulled it on and rushed downstairs hehe. My mum didn't arrive for another hour or so, so Jonathan's dad had a look at some of the doors which weren't closing properly and at the extractor fan in the bathroom, and the telephone points.

We've got lots of boxes in the house now, so lots to unpack, but I will have to make sure I don't do any heavy lifting, so if something heavy needs to go upstairs, Jonathan will have to carry it, even if I'm "able" to.

Anyway, mum eventually arrived, we sat down and had a cuppa, and I gave her the "grand tour", she said it was great, and sooo much roomier and so nice for stuff. When I showed her the large space under the stairs I mentioned about maybe we could put shelves under there, she said "Well, for whenever you two think about having kids, you could use that as somewhere to store the pram, and any other large baby stuff". And I was like... "Hmmm... yeah, that's a good idea, worth thinking about" We decided to wait til we were in the restaurant before we told them, sort of try to slot it into the conversation when there was a gap. Eventually there was one, although several times I got out "We've..." and then my mum, or Jonathan's dad, or someone would carry on talking, and I'd cut off again hehe. Eventually I managed to say "We've got something to tell you..... we're pregnant." My mum immediately burst into a grin and said... "You are..?? you're...." so I said "Yes, I'm pregnant!" and she was all "oh, that's wonderful!!" and Jonathan's parents seemed quiet in comparison haha, although they were both smiling, and Jonathan's dad looked a little bit weepy (to me anyway). I said to them "You're going to be grandparents!" hehe

My mum's going to be knitting some clothes for the baby hehe, and she's also told me she wants to buy the pram. She also wants to know the exact due date and the hospital I'll be going to so she can book the time off work and do her "Granny Dash" as she calls it haha. I haven't really given the birth any thought yet, but I imagine I would be going to the hospital, I'll have to do some research into it I guess.

I think I embarrassed Jonathan a bit at the meal lol, I mentioned that I was surprised to have got pregnant so quickly, and mentioned that he must have "very fast swimmers" hehehe :D

I'll try and find my camera at some point, and take some photos of the tests I took and post them here. Also, it'll be nice to get a Belly Gallery going! Although I think I might have to do laying down pictures of it, or it won't show at all until I'm about 4-5 months probably hehe.

I'll be seeing my dad and his wife tomorrow, so I'll tell them then. The opportunity will probably present itself at the beginning of the meal which is when dad thinks about what bottle of wine to get for the table - I usually drink a glass or so if we go out, but if I'm not having any, it'll be a glass for him usually (he does usually have one glass at a meal even if he drives), and the rest of the bottle for Caroline (although maybe Jonathan might have some). But yes, seems the appropriate time to bring it up hehe :) And hopefully they won't be suspicious because they're thinking they're coming to see the house! (Which of course they are... hehe) One time we went out with him, and Jonathan's parents, they thought we invited them at the same time to tell them we were pregnant, but of course we weren't at the time ;)

Mum was talking to me after I told her, and she said that with both me and Stephen, she had threatened miscarriages, where she started bleeding part way through the pregnancy, so she had to have "no arms and no legs" for a week - got dad to lift her from the bed to the sofa, make sandwiches and a thermos of coffee and just watch TV. She said it was because up until 3 months she just kept doing things as normal, hoovering, lifting a bowl of potatoes in water, and stuff, which put strains on her tummy. I knew the thing about pregnant women not lifting, but I thought it was when she got bigger, and lifting would make her back go... But I see what she means, which got me a little worried, because I helped Jonathan lug a huuuuge pack of bookcases into the car, and from the car to the house.... I think from now I just reaaaally be careful, and make sure I lift NO heavy boxes, and get Jonathan to do the vacuuming, and anything that's at all heavy I get him to lift. And also get him to sort the cat litter tray (although I am careful not to touch it, I guess I can't be too careful). Although that leaves very little that I can do - washing up I suppose will still be fine - although I don't know how I'll get to the sink when I'm big! Washing... hmm, I guess I'll have to be careful with how heavy the basket of washing is... And maybe don't do any of the hanging up if it's on the washing line.. Mum said that Dave, her partner, was annoyed and a bit angry because he didnt know I was pregnant, and I helped bring in boxes from the car... (although I made sure I didn't take any heavy ones, only a few light bits)

Was wondering about when to tell the majority of people - right now I've told a few friends, and close family (well, all of the close family will know soon). I'm wondering when to tell Stephen and Naomi (the siblings - Helen already knows it seems /wave :P ) I think we'll tell the majority of people at 12 weeks, so that if something does go wrong, I only have some friends, and close family to tell. But I'll just try to do everything I can to make sure things go okay! Eat well, try not to be too strenuous, and stuff.

Anyway, this update will do for now, thanks for everyone's comments lately, it's so nice to read them and know that there is lots of support from people who've been through it all before!

No comments:

Post a Comment