Thursday 21 June 2012

Mental shift

This week I've had a mental shift with regards to how productive I feel - particularly around the house. I still need to kick my arse into gear and do more, but I felt like my house is a tip (well it kinda is) and that everyone else surely had MUCH better houses than mine. Even with small kids. They could at least put things away in their proper place, and run a hoover around every few days, and maybe even dust a bit. I saw a photo a couple of days ago, of a room in someone's house. And let's put it this way - it was a lot worse than anything in my house! (except maybe the garage - possibly) Of course, it could be their one room that's messy and everything else is immaculate - a'la Monica in Friends' cupboard. But it's made me feel a lot better about our house. Of course I would like to get it tidy, clear away the clutter and rubbish that's scattered about our house. And that is in progress - my mum's partner has kindly offered to us that he'll get our under-stairs area turned into cupboards for material-cost only. We've had a quote on converting our garage into additional rooms as well, AND J's parents have offered to loan us the money - interest free (have I mentioned before how lovely they are??!!) - to have that done. Of course we'll now need a garden shed as once the garage starts to be converted we'll need homes for all the garden tools and what-not. I've made a start on our holiday packing list. And I hope to start actually packing tonight as well. We go away on Monday, which isn't really the best day to go away in my opinion - we'll be coming back the following Monday, then Jonathan will be off to work the next day and I'll be left on my own with 2 post-holiday hyper kids, several suitcases of dirty washing, plus whatever else we've left the house in. But anyway, over all my mood is a lot better. My negative thoughts are significantly fewer and far between, although I still get down about the state of the house sometimes. But it's getting easier. Thank you for the comments on the last post. I do know it's the right thing to do deep down.

2 comments:

  1. Thats a natural Mum feeling. My house isn't dirty but it's not as organised as it could be. Boys room is chaos in artform and why bother tidying it up when they will have it back to that state within an hour of being allowed back in there.

    Today I did blitz the kitchen though doing all the jobs I should have done in recent weeks. Even cleaned down all doors and cupboard doors etc. Took all the toys back to relevent rooms and had enough room on the table for more than just the kids plates at dinner time.

    You aren't alone in this at all. No-one expects a perfect house, enjoy your messy little people while they are this way and as for messy husbands.. well.... lol.

    But yes, Agree with you 100% that you feel like you've done something good when you get something as you want it. If you still have the motivation this week, go for 1 room a day. (Though I know from great experience leaving 2 kids in the living room to clean the kitchen results in BOMBSITE living room upon return.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My house isn't immaculate! I hear you on this one.,

    ReplyDelete