Tuesday 25 May 2010

My gorgeous clever boy :)

I thought I'd make a post to do with my gorgeous son. He is now 18 months old (and 2 days!) and I just adore him. I love his chatting (which mostly is still babbling, although it's more "complex" babbling now!), and his mannerisms, and his spark and energy! His understanding of us and things we ask him are amazing, it seems so strange to think how he went from a tiny boy so unable to do anything for himself to one that now can follow instructions, and asert his wants and needs to us!

His communication is still mainly non verbal, the main word he uses is "again", which he sometimes uses to mean "yes". This caused some concern to the doctor who saw him for his 18 month review on Friday, who again questioned his hearing, and mentioned speech therapy. We said we weren't concerned about his hearing at all, and he HAS made huge progress with his verbal and non verbal communication since we saw the same doctor 6 months ago. So we will wait til he's 2, and if the doctor is still concerned then we will allow them to run hearing tests and anything else they deem necessary, as if it comes back all clear, and that he is simply a slow speaker, then we will be proved right, and 2 is still an ok age to pick up any more serious problems, so we are ok in waiting until then.

But he IS getting his wants across more and more. He signs "more" very frequently, we are trying to introduce more specific signs so that he knows there is a difference between "more" and wanting specific things, so we have a clearer idea. We are teaching him "drink", "food/eat" and "sleep" on a daily basis, as well as "milk". We sign "nappy" to him regularly too. He still needs prompting to sign for a few things, the only signs he does unprompted is "more", and "milk". He also understands what nodding and shaking the head means and how to use it approptiately, which is very useful!

If he signs "more" while looking at the table on which there is his food, and a drink, we ask him "do you want a drink?" and if it's what he wants, he nods his head and makes an affirmative noise. Then we ask him to sign "drink" and show him ourselves and he will sign back to us, and we give it to him. After his 18 month review I did worry if encouraging signing over talking was helping, or delaying things, but I figure (with some comments from people at a forum) that any form of communication is good, and it will help him be less frustrated while he is still coming to grips with talking.

Something that I think will help him immensely is that over the past couple of days he has rediscovered his love of books and will pull out book after book after book for me to read to him. As well as just reading the story to him I now on most pages point out various things on the illustrations, or ask him to point them out, and I am sometimes amazed at how he knows what something is! I asked him yesterday where the horns were on a picture of a cow, and he pointed them out right away, I wasn't expecting him to get them, and I spent ages wondering "how on earth does he know what horns are?" and then I realised in a few of his "that's not my..." books they have horns on them :)

He is also copying animal noises of varying creatures very well! He will do cow, dog, monkey, elephant, bee, wolf, snake, cat (sometimes), duck, lion (he loves this one!), and possibly a few others!

He has mastered so many physical skills now, he runs, walks along on tiptoes, steers his pushalong toys around obstacles, climbs up onto chairs turns around and sits on them, gets down from chairs slowly still facing out and letting himself drop to the floor, he can step up shallow steps properly, deeper ones he still either turns himself round to go down or he crawls up. If he stumbles while running he can correct himself a lot of the time and can avoid falling. He hasn't figured out jumping yet but that's only a matter of time I'm sure! He even had a good go yesterday on a balance beam at a toddler group (for their physical skills), first holding onto Janice's hands as he walked along, but then he got on all by himself and tried to take a step on it!

He is also working out humour! He has learnt that doing certain things will make us laugh, and so he deliberately does them in order to make us laugh! Certain facial expressions are his favourite way at the moment, but also noises he makes, some of his laughs will often provoke us to laugh too!

He also LOVES us to sing! I have learnt that singing a song will stop a boy from wriggling while changing him, or getting him dressed, or will let us brush his teeth with little resistance! Which has made bedtime SO much less stressful I can't believe! There is now NO stress with bedtime at all, there was little before but now with no wriggles it's lovely! He doesn't really have a favourite song yet, he likes any song I sing really! But I tend to sing "if you're happy and you know it" while he's getting dressed as he then joins in the actions and it gives him something to do as well while I'm popping up his sleepsuit! He starts clapping as soon as I start that song, it's so cute! His face when I ask him "shall I sing you a song, Robert?" is lovely! His face lights up and he nods eagerly saying "Geh, geh" (again, again) hehe! So I sing him a song, and when I get to the end and stop, he'll squeal "a-GEH!" and I sing it again hehe.

Jonathan has been concentrating on the video backlog from Robert's birthday party onwards, so the photos we've taken recently aren't up there yet, which is a shame!

But here's a video he has put together which I can't help but feel teary about, a montage from birth to 1 year old. From a tiny, sleepy baby to a big boy, running around, with little pearly teeth... awwww :) I'm so happy I'll get to see another baby growing up, and also I can't WAIT to see how good a big brother Robert will be. I love him to bits and I can't believe there was ever a time he wasn't in my life!

5 comments:

  1. AW! That made ME a little teary, too. I can't believe how fast it all goes by, can you? He is so cute! I can't wait to see what he'll be like as a big brother, either. And we are taking the same approach with Matthew's talking - he has several words now but obviously isn't as verbal as Bean was at this age. We'll wait until he's two before we intervene, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is indeed very clever and even without a pic today is definitely gorgeous :-D
    I think you're right not to worry about his speech. My brother was s late talker but now is a writer and has the largest vocabulary of anyone I know. Jaya's speech wasn't so good right up until she started school (her new friends thought she was called "Shiya" because she didn't even pronounce her own name correctly!) but now she's fine. She was just like Robert and very physical so I reckon he's just so busy developing his amazing physical skills to worry about silly things like words ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember if I already said this at Facebook, but PLEASE ignore the doctor!!! Tsk! ;) Here, they phased out all the developmental checks from 8 months old onwards (till school!!!!) ages ago - sooo bad! But I feel relieved not to have had the 18 month one for any of my boys after reading your entry today! None of them spoke till around age 2. Tooootally normal. Not "late". Normal!!! Especially for boys. Extra especially for physically active boys.

    Arthur was my earliest talker - he really got going with new words around 22 months, and then was talking in sentences by his 2nd birthday. Matthew and Nathan were later - just after their 2nd birthdays - but I was no longer bothered about when they talked. I see so many people on my groups and forums freaking out (and I do mean freaking out!) and getting speech therapy for their under 2 year olds, even as young as 13 or 14 months!!!! It drives me potty. Going by forums and due date groups and such, my boys start saying words later than the average, sometimes quite a bit later, but a few months after they start, they are about at the level of the early talkers or actually more advanced on their sentences. So it's definitely nothing to worry about, not saying words yet. Some doctors are really funny about it and think it's a big deal, but before age 2, I honestly can't think why! If he is saying NO words at age 2, then reassess, but I will eat my hat (and I've never had to yet, lol!) if Robert is not saying things like, "Ayo baby!" and "Daddy coming hooommme!!" and so on around his 2nd birthday. And you can hold me to that! ;)

    He sounds so lovely, and the video is gorgeous! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I forgot to say, according to the "freaking out mothers" (that's prob a bit mean! :S) that I mentioned above, accurate animal sounds count in the "word count". "Again" has also been one of my boys' earliest demanding words - it's a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, what a lovely video. He is such a sweetie! And I second, third and fourth what everyone has already said about the speech 'delay'. I certainly wouldn't worry about it before he has ever turned two. While my situation is completely different (with girls, who happen to be little chatterboxes) they are definitely not as physical (Robert was up and walking way before Sophie, and she is six months older than him!!) Just like what Alice was saying, I have heard that is is very common for boys, especially the very active ones, to speak later. Plus I think doing all those animal sounds is very clever!

    ReplyDelete