Friday 30 December 2011

Thoughts about genders

Well, yesterday my sister-in-law gave birth to a little girl, who she and my brother named Amelia. It's been a day now and I'm feeling a lot more excited and happy about it than I was when I first heard the news. She is the one who had a boy a year before Robert was born, who told me she didn't want kids at all to stop disappointment of people knowing it was taking them a while to conceive etc. I must admit, my first reaction was that of a sinking resentfulness. A stupid one of course, like the first one I felt when she was pregnant with my nephew! That once again they have "beat me" to something new for my parents. They had the first grandchild (and grandson incidentally), and now they have had the first granddaughter, despite me having two children between. Plus the fact that before Robert was "Robert" - while he was Sausage, I wanted a girl. And secretly I think I wanted Christopher to be a girl too.

It's been going round and round my head, wondering if the news that they had had a girl was disappointing to me for that reason also... because I do hope that someday I will have a daughter! And of course, I may not ever have a daughter. It did also get me thinking, also due to reading comments on my brother's photos of Amelia, or status updates, people's opinions, that having "one of each" is the "perfect" family. I hear it everywhere. See it everywhere. I've never heard, or at least not to my recollection, somebody saying "awww another boy, how perfect!" (or girl, of course) when it's a second child. (as opposed to third, where they already have "one of each"). And you see the dolls families with 2 parents, and 2 kids, the kids are always a boy and a girl. And Robert's checkout game, a boy and a girl. Charlie and Lola on TV.

I do love my BOYS so so much, and do NOT love Christopher any less because he's not a girl! (Or Robert for that matter). But I do find myself trying to conjure up homely images of the future of me with all sons and no daughters. To convince myself that it won't be all that bad. (!!) Strapping lads with their arms around me as they reach their adulthood. Boys running in the garden playing football or play wrestling. That sort of thing!

Another thing that I think of, is that if we do end up with another baby, I find myself wondering what the gender will be. I of course have no way of knowing!! But I find myself thinking all the same "I wonder if I will get a girl" or things like that. I think if we do have another baby we will find out the sex (Jonathan wanted to with Christopher it was me that stopped us! So I think Jonathan would have no problem if we have another baby), so that if it's a boy it will give me time to adjust. I do think back to the dream I had in pregnancy with Robert, that I gave birth to triplets, the first one being Robert, the second one also a boy, and the third one we thought was a boy at first but then it turned out to be a girl. It does make me wonder, if it's a kind of future telling dream, that I will have 3 kids, and well first two boys.. and if I have a third, if it will show on ultrasound (or if it's just an overwhelming thought) that it's a third boy, whether we will be surprised later by the emergence (or view on ultrasound) of a girl.

I guess it's a "time will tell" ending to this post really... All this assuming I do actually have a third child.

3 comments:

  1. Nicola, I can soooo relate, which is probably not surprising to hear given that I have nearly 6 boys and no girls, lol! ;) Every time I wonder if I'll "get" a girl this time, but try not to get wistful about it. I would LOVE a daughter! I think I am not really expecting to ever have one, but getting into that mindset has been intentional, sort of like you were saying. So I am happy to have a whole bunch of boys and no daughters, when I'm finished having babies. But it's an intentional thing to decide to think that way, I think. It's not a struggle - though it was more so after my first two babies. It gets easier to think that way as it seems less likely that I'll have a girl with each baby.

    I still hope I DO! :) But we'll see.

    I also have mainly nieces - Neil has two sisters, one of them has 2 girls (ages 6 and 3) and the other has a 15-month-old girl. My brother has two children, a girl (4) and a boy (22m). I pretty much assumed after a few years that we obviously "do" the boys in the family, and everyone else "does" the girls! Until my nephew came along! ;) At first that was a bit uncomfortable, just at the first news of the baby being a girl, you know? Or my mother's high excitement at buying dresses for her granddaughter (still feel that one a little, if I'm honest). But I am now just so glad to have little girls in the family! It's so nice when we all get together, to have GIRLY presence amongst us, lol!

    Anyway, waffly and not all that relevant, but I just wanted to say I really get what you're saying. And I hope you have a third baby!!! Hope she's a girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping you'd reply to this Alice!! And so pleased it's not just me. My mum has said she wanted to buy and make "girly" stuff for a grandchild and I really wanted it to be my child she did that for...

    But it's crazy to be honest, because I don't think I'd like to go OTT on girly pink "stuff" even if I had a girl!! The whole gender divide on boys/girls stuff really annoys me, particularly the MULTITUDE of pink toys out there, like a primary coloured brick set or ball pool or kitchen, or whatever wouldn't do for a girl! But girly dresses, long hair, sweet bows and all that stuff makes me wistful... and a little jealous of my family members, and even friends!! who have girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the time I was pregnant with Liam, I was CONVINCED it was a third boy and whilst I did "hope" Matthew would be a girl, then deep down I wanted James to be a girl it was completely different feeling with Liam. I never found out the sex but no-one could try to suggest otherwise. With this in mind I suppose I ruled out the chance of having a girl and it made my attitude change. I was much more excited at the prospect of having a third boy so he could be close to his brothers. I doubt I will have any more babies but if I did, I would be delighted with yet another boy or I would be equally pleased with a girl. I just wouldn't be "more pleased" to have a girl. Babies are just little wonders whatever they are.

    Society always does have this picture perfect family but we all know that society's perfections are far from the normal family in everything.

    For the record, I have 2 nephews too so I am used to a very full male family.

    ReplyDelete