Saturday 28 May 2011

Driving lessons

This post isn't particularly on topic regarding my little ones, but a big part of my life, and hopefully one that will enrich our lives when we are more mobile, and I can travel furthur alone!

I have finally started my driving lessons, just 2 months short of my 28th birthday. I started 8 days ago, and have had 3.5 hours of lessons in that time (two Fridays, 2 hours for the first one, 1.5 hours for the second). I've gone with an independant driving company, run by a man called Colin. So far, I am very impressed with his teaching skills. I have updated facebook after both my lessons with him, but for those who don't have facebook or have me on there, it seems that I am a complete natural :) In my first two hour lesson, he told me that I would be learning how to pull off, and come to a stop again. We did that, and I soon got the hang of it, so we also moved onto changing gears as well! That lesson was on a trading estate, so there weren't many parked cars or traffic, and there was pretty much just a circuit to keep going round and round. He left me with a very positive end note, and told me I was picking it up a lot faster than most people, and that he couldn't believe I'd never driven before hehe.

I then had a second lesson which lasted 1.5 hours, which felt a bit less exhausting, and a better length I think than the two hours. He drove me this time to a housing estate with more parked cars, and also lots of turnings. He put me straight into doing left turns onto a minor road, which again I picked up quickly, then moving onto right turns, which took a little longer maybe but still pretty quick, and then went onto pulling out of a T junction. And spent a fair amount of time towards the end of the lesson combining all three around this estate, giving me plenty of practice braking at the T junction and being ready to pull away again.

I feel like I'm making lots of progress and enjoying learning to drive a lot! I never thought I would enjoy it so much, or be as good as I appear to be! I went in with a fair amount of confidence, which I think helps, and just a "let's tackle this then!" kind of attitude, and it seems to be paying off! I'm hoping that I'll have passed my test before the end of the year, maybe even before Christopher's birthday. We shall see!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Nicola! Happy driving, it sounds like you are doing so well! soon you'll be driving off into the sunset! :)

    ReplyDelete