Tuesday 22 October 2013

Robert in Reception

We are in the last week before half term, and Robert is still coming out of school every day on the black cloud for hurting other children or being too rough generally, invading personal space, not listening to adults. It is slowly destroying my soul that my first born, my gorgeous boy, is acting so horribly at school. We are trying reward systems for him, the first day with little to no success. Today is the second day.

It has got to the point where I am not bothering to make sure I leave by 5 past to get there early, as he is always sitting on the carpet so the teacher can explain to me just how horrible my child has been that day when all the other children have gone. :(

Yesterday I came home and cried all afternoon. I do not know what to do. I am in completely over my head and feel like running away and leaving someone else to it. But I can't, because I am his mother. It is my responsibility as his main carer to see that he becomes a respectable adult, and so far I am failing miserably.

Tomorrow is his first parents evening. And I know exactly how it's going to go. And the thought of that is bringing me close to tears again.

I want to not care, to leave it as a school problem. Let them deal with it. But I can't do that of course, and it's tearing me up from the inside out.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that things are going so poorly at school for Robert! :( it's an awful feeling when we feel so helpless. I'm sending my love and hoping the meeting with the teachers go well and you can all come up with some solutions. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every age and every stage of a childs development create new problems. The baby bit is the easy bit. I used to get so upset about Matthews behaviour it was unbelievable. Over time that has got better but I still get called in to see his head teacher every now and then for something the school is unhappy with or has concerns about - he is 10 in January. One challenge replaces another and with 3 kids, it will be a life of highs and lows. The oldest one DOES seem the hardest work so often (I have 3 other friends with similar issues) and it's good to know it's not just me but parenting is a long line of lessons. No-one had perfect kids all the time, everyone will have a tale or two to tell of behavioural or development issues. As much as you dread parents evening, it's all going to be about trying to make life easier for the school and Robert AND YOU! The school can be a great help when you need it. Although problems may seem to stem and be focussed there, they are very well trained and well equipped to deal with situations like these and it will all come together but may take some time. Stay strong but if you need further help or a doctors recommendation about the behavioural issues- talk to the school - They WILL be supportive and can help get you in touch with the right people. It is NOT accepting defeat at all, it is accepting help and assistance that will help HIM and yourself in the long run. I really feel for you honey and hope that this parents evening brings good communication and strategies to move forward. xxx

    ReplyDelete